Sunday, February 14, 2010

Valentine's Day & Chinese New Year

This weekend marked one of my least favorite holidays, and one of my favorite holidays: Valentine's Day and Chinese New Year, respectively. I don't think I've ever had a proper Valentine on Valentine's Day. I remember breaking up with my first boyfriend a week before the holiday. I'm not bitter about Valentine's Day, but it's not my favorite commercialized holiday.

Chinese New Year, however, is the best holiday ever invented. What other holiday allows you to eat a ridiculous amount of amazing food, light things on fire, and then get money in nicely sealed red envelopes? And, this year is the year of the tiger. Being a tiger myself, I am really excited about the new year. I hope it's a good one.

On the other hand, Valentine's Day gives me an excuse to participate in one of my favorite hobbies: baking. I decided that making potstickers from scratch would be too much work. I didn't have any ginger anyway, so I made sugar cookies instead. This was not stress baking - I only used one stick of butter. Here they are:

Although I made sugar cookies instead of potstickers, I had to honor Chinese New Year somehow, so I just wrote a Valentine's Day message in Chinese and called it good.

Today's blunder:
I almost drank lotion today. I grabbed what I thought was a water bottle off my desk, unscrewed the cap, and then noticed that the air suddenly smelled like peaches. I looked at the bottle, and then realized that I grabbed my lotion instead of my water.

Today's blessing:
A well timed phone call spared me from a very awkward conversation. I have never been so happy to answer the phone.

2 comments:

  1. i feel like i need details about the awkward conversation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed. I think I need to hear some details =)

    ReplyDelete