First off, the open house at Michigan was... interesting. I decided that I like Ann Arbor, but I would rather not attend the University of Michigan. I didn't feel like the faculty were excited to have us there, and they were rather nonchalant about helping us find funding. And I talked to a grad student, and he lovingly described his mentor as the Hitler of the Great Lakes. Or was it Stalin? And it was a little too cold for my taste. I would also rather live someplace closer to either the ocean or mountains. Although the university was a bit of a let down, I was delighted to run into my old friend Jessica and her husband. I hadn't seen her in years! It was so much fun to catch up and see what her life in Michigan is like. We also dined at Krazy Jim's Blimpy Burger, which was featured in Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. The place was a total dive, but the food was excellent.
I also was invited to present a paper I wrote at the Family Law Symposium next Saturday. I wrote the paper simply to get free lunch from the conference. I really didn't expect anything else come of it. But, I guess they want me to present my findings in public... And they are recording it. Although this is a great opportunity, I am really don't want to be on camera. I would rather take a cash prize than present at the conference. I hate taking pictures!!! I don't want to be recorded. Ack. And now I have to figure out what I am wearing. And the camera adds ten pounds. Ack. I hate taking pictures!!! I'm rather be behind the camera than in front of it.
Here's the blessing of the day:
The Dippidee bakery in American Fork is my new favorite bakery. People rave about the Sweet Tooth Fairy (STF) in Provo, but I think the STF is big, fat rip-off. 2.50 for a tiny cupcake? 5 dollars for cake bites that probably cost 50 cents to make? I am not impressed. Dippidee, however, has amazing filled cupcakes that are twice as big as the cupcakes as the STF for the same cost. The cupcakes are made of a sponge cake batter, baked in souffle cups, and then filled with cream and topped with frosting or mousse. I think this picture speaks for itself:

Although the drive is further, Dippidee is definitely worth the trip.
Blunder:
LOST has me hooked. I definitely have lost sleep in order to make time to watch the new episodes. I don't really care what happens to any of the characters anymore. I just want to know what is going on with the island, and who Jacob and the weirdo in the black are. And I really want the writers to kill off Kate. She hasn't done anything significant in a long time.
So does this mean you were accepted there? Or did you just go with a group of interested students. That's too bad it wasn't more interesting for you, or the professors weren't more willing to help you out. That's probably a good thing to learn before you sign up. So what other schools does that leave you with?
ReplyDeleteI'm leaving for Boston tomorrow to visit BU. The University of Washington is also supposed to contact me soon about visits. I also haven't heard from Yale yet. If I do visit Yale, I'll try come down and visit you and Laura. Or you could come up to New York!
ReplyDeleteLOST has you hooked huh? Well, that means only one thing: we gotta watch it together.
ReplyDelete