Monday, September 21, 2009

Funnel cake, 2; Me, 0

This weekend was closing weekend of the Utah State Fair. There really is nothing better than a state fair - the people, the exhibits, the rides, the food - what is there not to love?

I decided to break from my relatively healthy diet to eat a funnel cake. Junk food and I have a love hate relationship. The food tastes so good, but then I feel sick for the next 2 days, especially after eating deep fried foods like funnel cake. The last time I ate a funnel cake was at Knott's Berry Farm in high school - I think I got through about 3 bites before I had to stop. I needed to show the funnel cake who was boss.

Thus began the Great Funnel Cake Duel of 2009. The score was Funnel Cake,1; Me, 0.

This time, I thought to myself, the funnel cake is going down (pun somewhat intended). Besides, I had already invested my hard earned cash in the cake, and I wasn't about to waste my money. I dug in with gusto.

The first few bites were delicious. The cake was still warm, crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside. Who knew that deep fried batter could be so tasty?!

Although it looked and tasted amazing, after about 4 bites, I realized that I might be in over my head. The cake looked so good that a stranger sitting across the table from me asked if he could have a bite. I'm not sure if this counts as cheating, but I cut him a piece. I needed all the help I could get.

I ate about 1/2 of the cake before I realized that I would really hate myself if I kept going. I ate a few more bites, and then I really had to stop. About 15 minutes later, I remembered why it had been 5 years since I ate my last funnel cake. I felt SICK.

So, the score is: Funnel Cake, 2; Me, 0. But there's always next year.

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least you did better than you had done 5 years ago. Be proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete