Sunday, June 24, 2012

Small victories

I have 3 small victories to report, none of which have to do with school.

Victory #1.

I bought myself an ice cream maker for my birthday, which means that I've had a stash of homemade ice cream in my freezer every day since late April. So far I've made fior di latte gelato (sweet milk gelato), vanilla, and grapenut ice cream, which is apparently a New England thing.

This weekend, I decided to make strawberry ice cream. I macerated my strawberries with lime juice and sugar, prepared the custard base for the ice cream, and was all ready to churn it. And then I accidentally added the acid-spiked strawberry juice to the custard before it was set (which curdles the yolks), and ended up with a soggy, disgusting pink mess! It looked like a floating brain!

                                                 *This is not what ice cream should look like...

I managed to save the custard (hooray!) and now have a delicious batch of strawberry ice cream in my freezer. Yum!

Victory #2.

I climbed a 5.10 on Saturday! 6/23 shall now be known as 5.10 Day!

For those unfamiliar with climbing grades, walls are ranked starting at 5.5 and upwards. Beginner routes are 5.5 to ~5.7, intermediate routes are ~5.7 to ~5.9, and advanced routes are 5.10 and higher. I am really proud of myself for finishing a 5.10.

Victory #3

This was a while ago, but I raced in a one-mile open water swim in the Charles.

It was a rough start to the morning. The race was at 8 am, so I needed to be down at the dock by 7 am to check-in. Which meant that I had to get up at 6:15 am to make sure I got there on time. On race day, I woke up to pouring rain! By the time I got off the T and walked to the check-in tent, I was soaked.

Luckily, the river was much warmer than the rain. The air was 60 F, the water was 73 F. The water felt like bathwater in comparison to the air temperature.

I kept swimming in a zig-zag pattern instead of a straight line, so my time was a lot slower than it should have been. But I am happy that I finished and didn't get attacked by river sharks.

1 comment:

  1. there are river sharks??!! my phobia just increased by a thousand

    ReplyDelete