Sunday, August 22, 2010

The big move

The last few weeks have been a whirlwind. I packed my life into four suitcases, boarded a plane, and flew across the country to a new city to begin a new life.

I've been in Boston for a little more than a week, and I already love it. This is the first place that I've been, other than California, that I feel like I can lay down roots.

The city is gorgeous. Boston is riddled with patches of green and blue. There are so many trees, grassy parks, and the Charles River runs right through the middle of the city. I did not take this photo, but the Charles has looked like this recently:

People ask me if I was scared or nervous about moving. To be honest, I felt a little of every emotion. I was nervous about the logistics of moving and nervous about starting the program, but those fears were nothing in comparison to my actual fear. I was most afraid about having made the wrong decision, and what that means about how I go about making my decisions.

I have concluded that moving was the best decision I could have made. I never saw myself settling in Utah. I knew that I was visitor, and that my wandering in the desert was not permanent. Although I made some of my best friends during my years at the Y, while I was there, I often felt as if I was holding my breath underwater. I knew that if I stayed, I would have continued to feel like I was drowning.

I feel like I finally have permission to breathe. I have license to be curious, to be competent, and to be passionate about my interests in health and science. I am so excited about my program, the people I'm meeting both in the Church and in my schooling.

Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Judy!! Thats so great to hear that you are enjoying it there! - even though we miss you TONS here...Boston sounds like an amazing city, I wish I could see it for myself!
    I wish you the BEST of Luck in your endeavors - with school, and in LIFE! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete