Monday, May 17, 2010

Funny coincidences and good food

I am amazed at how small the world really is.

I was chatting with a friend today when her roommate joined the conversation. She, the roommate, then vented about a boy she met tonight. Apparently, they flirted all night, he walked her home, but did not ask for her phone number, even after she hinted that she would like to go out with him. She was clearly angry, annoyed, and insulted that this boy didn't want to date her.

I should inform you that this girl is very flirtatious. She goes on at a minimum of 4 dates in one week and is accustomed to getting lots of male attention. Men ask for her phone number at the supermarket, while she's stopped at traffic lights, and other random places (I am not exaggerating at all). This boy's lack of interest clearly deviated from the attention she usually gets. Did I mention that she was texting a different boy while talking about how mad she was about tonight's incident?

I suggested that perhaps the boy was just very friendly, and asked what his name was. She told me his first name, and that he was leaving for an internship in Chicago later this week. This story sounded oddly familiar... so I just guessed his last name, and sure enough, I was right.

How did I know the culprit's identity? I have a date with him tomorrow night. The roommate was so mad when I told her. Unlike the roommate, I really don't expect anything to come of it.

On another note, I was supposed to post new recipes a few days ago. I made Mexican pulled pork (Conchinita Pibil) burritos with homemade pico de gallo salsa for dinner last week. I usually don't cook a lot of meat, but this recipe looked so good that I just had to try it. I got the recipe from this website.

The pork was VERY tender, but I felt like something was missing. Next time I make this, I'm going to try putting two cloves of garlic into the marinade.

I am not great at measuring amounts of ingredients when I cook. I just put things in and taste them until I am happy. But here's the basic recipe for the pico de gallo:

2 large tomatoes
1/4 onion (yellow or red would be fine)
1 clove of garlic
juice from one lime or a very small lemon
a handful of cilantro
1 avocado (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

You just cut up all the ingredients, except the lime/lemon, and toss them into a bowl. You then squeeze the lime/lemon juice over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment