Saturday, March 6, 2010

An eventful week

This week has been really busy. I'm administering a survey, I went out of town, and then I had a presentation today at 8 am.

After telling my professors that I was visiting Boston, at least half of them said "Boston is for lovers." I had no idea what they were talking about.

After being in Boston for a few days, I think I understand what they mean. Boston is a very charming city. Even though it was cold, I really like Boston. I miss the hustle of the crowds, the historic sites, and the cultural exhibits. I miss the public transportation, and I really miss seeing the ocean on all sides of the city. I really liked the university too. I felt at home with the faculty, and I really liked the projects they were working on. BU is known for its community involvement, so much of my time will be spent on the ground instead of the ivory tower of academia. Sounds like my kind of research!

I had a few hours to explore, so I went over to Boston Commons and Fenway Park. Boston Commons is home to the Make Way for Ducklings statue, and Fenway Park is home of the Red Sox. It was snowing, so the light was not that great, but here are some photos:

When I got back, life kept me too busy to miss the city for too long. I had a 10 am meeting the next day, a research project to work on, a speech to write, and mountains to explore. I woke up at 6:30 this morning to put the last touches on my presentation, and then spoke to a small group at 8:30. Since no one in the audience fell asleep, I think the presentation went well.

After the conference was over, I settled in for a night at home. All of a sudden, there were sirens blaring right outside the house. Our phones started ringing with calls from our neighbors asking us if our house was in fire. I didn't think it was, so I walked outside to investigate. I was greeted by this:

I had to sneak this photo, so you can't see the three other fire trucks, and the police car parked behind these two fire trucks. An apartment across the street caught fire.

So, I guess I have several blessings to report. I am happy to report that my house did not light on fire. Despite the house's ghetto-ness, the roof keeps snow out of my room, and the stove still can cook my food. I am happy I have a place to sleep tonight.

I'm not sure if this counts as a real blunder, but I almost ran out of food today. Although I had lunch at the conference, I had few choices for dinner. I was down to bread, dried pasta, eggs, and some hummus. I decided to try making a fried egg and hummus sandwich. It was surprisingly good. I think I'm going to make one for dinner tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment