How is it possible for even the simplest plans to go awry? (By the way, this is the blunder of the day. Possibly the year.)
After wading through two failed projects and finally finding one that had both funding and a feasible means of accomplishing the said project, I thought I had things made. The project involves an online survey that administrators in three different departments would email out to their students. The only work involved was for the administrators to copy and paste a link into an email, send the email out into the magical world of the internet, and the link miraculously appears on the student's screens. Sounds easy, right?
Except, if you forget to attach the link, you get about 200 emails saying that the link is not there. Which is precisely what happened when one of the administrators (which was not me) did not send out the link. Those 200 emails then clog up the admin's server, and the email system shuts down, making them willing to resend the email. When I figured out a way to resend the emails to that one department without violating my IRB, the new administrator's Gmail account was put on hold. Which means that the emails were not delivered, and will not be sent until Gmail is in a better mood. Apparently you can't send out more than 500 emails in one day. Who knew?
This means that I have don't have all of the data that I need. This also means that I have to wait another week before I can do any analyzing. Which also means that the chances of finishing before April 23rd (the last day to turn things in so that I won't have to take summer credits) is reduced significantly. Which also means that I might not be able to visit my grandparents in Taiwan. And I really do want to see them - it's been over a year.
After adjusting for the data collection delays and my upcoming trip to Seattle, I basically have 12 days, excluding Sundays, to finish writing and analyzing the data I've collected.
Ashley described her project as her Everest. I have a feeling mine is going to be more like a 400 meter race. It's short enough that you can sprint the whole way, but long enough to make your legs as heavy as lead and make that last stretch the most agonizing 100 meters of your life.
Wish me luck. I'm going to need it.
Thursday, March 11, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Good Luck Judy! It might feel like Everest when you are done with all the set backs! I am sure you will make the deadline and if you dont you can TOTALLY work on this from Taiwan, Go see your grandparents!
ReplyDeleteI like the analogy of the sprint, I'm right there with you, but I think it might be more like an 800--the most grueling race in track! We can do it!!!
ReplyDelete