1. Love at First Sight, at Ever Ever Sight
I read a blog about this poor fellow who's trying to win his girlfriend back.
He's a 30-something year old in NYC who had a relationship-ending fight with his girlfriend. After 10 months passed, he realized what an idiot he was, and now wants her back. To show his seriousness, he decided to plaster New York City with flyers of the Nabokov quote "It was love at first sight, at last sight, at ever ever-sight," which is the last quote he wrote on her whiteboard after their epic fight. He posted flyers until Valentine's Day.
The bloke probably hates himself right now. Poor guy.
I wish someone would do that for me.
2. Mistaken Sexual Identity
I think one of the professors in my department thinks I'm a lesbian. I was making lunch in the community kitchen, and she asked me what I was doing for Valentine's Day. I told her that I was cooking dinner for Valentine's for one of my girl friends (neither of us had plans).
I meant girl friend like, girl-space-friend. A friend that is a girl. She mistook girl (space) friend for the word girlfriend (without a space). And then asked very kindly, "Oh, that's nice. Are you interested in women? Or men? Because either are ok."
To which I strongly affirmed that I like men. NOT women.
My face was so red at this point.
To which she clarified, "Oh, so you meant girl-space-friend."
Yes. That's exactly what I meant.
Now I am wondering if I give off a lipstick lesbian vibe. I really hope I don't, because that would really add another layer of complication to an already difficult situation.
3. A formal invitation to Spinsterhood
I learned recently that spinsters are called spinsters because historically, one of the few well-paying jobs for women was spinning wool. Since older, unmarried women had to make enough money to pay for everything, they often took jobs spinning yarn. Thus, name spinster became synonymous with being an older single woman who was unfit, or too finicky, for marriage.
This past weekend, a friend alerted me of the existence of an all-female knitting group, and invited me to join. They meet on weekend night to knit yarn. Since most of the people in the group are (technically) older, single women, they are literally a group of spinsters. They are spinsters in every possible sense of the word.
I will not be joining them. The situational irony is a little too much for me to handle.
4. Blog traffic
I just discovered Blogger's stats page. Turns out the top 2 sites directing traffic to my site are a photo site (which is fine), and a porn site (which is really NOT ok). I have no idea how this happened, but I couldn't make this stuff up if I wanted to.
Does anyone know how to stop the porn site from directing people to my blog? There's nothing on here that they would want to see anyways.
Haha Judy I love this post. I can totally see you doing some of these things.as far as the porn stuff I had that problem too so I had to make my blog private.don't want people who look at that looking at pics of my baby.too creepy! Miss ya!
ReplyDelete