Monday, August 8, 2011

What a day

Have you ever had one of those days where you felt like you were living in a scripted sitcom? That was my day yesterday. I literally felt like I had landed in a Seinfeld or a Friends episode. For the purposes of this story, all of the names have been changed.

Let's start at the beginning:

7:00 AM: I woke up. And that was my first mistake. I woke up too early because I set the wrong alarm on my alarm clock. Instead of just getting up, I decided that it was too early to actually get out of bed, so I closed my eyes for a minute. I opened my eyes again and then realized that an hour had miraculously passed and I was actually running late for church.

Then I looked out the window and saw that it was sunny, so I just put on a blouse and a skirt and ran out the door. As headed out the door with my roommates, it started pouring rain. Dang Boston weather. Luckily, I had an umbrella in my purse. Unfortunately, my umbrella is semi-broken, so I arrived at church half wet.

11 AM: A friend asked me earlier to lead music in Relief Society. I am a "yes" person, so I of course said yes. Except that I don't really know how to lead music, and I hate doing anything musical in front of people. But since conducting technically isn't performing, I thought I would be ok.

I was wrong. I stopped a four verse song after the second verse because I lost track of how many verses we had sung. And I thought the pianist was stopping, but it turns out that she was just following me, when I was following her.

12 PM: Then I had to head home a cook dinner for my roommate and another friend, and I was in a little time crunch, so I really wanted to get back ASAP. However, I ended up talking to a different friend (we will call her Sophie) about her recent break-up, so instead of chopping vegetables, we ended up talking and crying about the men in our lives that suck. She ended up coming over to my apartment, and helped me cook dinner, which was so nice of her.

1:30 PM: Sophie helped me chop vegetables while I mixed dough for some bread. Sophie was also making food for a BBQ she was going to later that day. While she and I were in the kitchen, my roommate also helped us prep food since I had exactly one hour to mix and knead dough before I had another obligation: An airport pickup.

2:30 PM: I headed out to the airport. It was pouring rain, and traffic was insane. I got to the airport ok, picked my friend up, and then headed back to the church to drop him off for his meeting. On the way to church, I was headed straight on a road, when a car suddenly lurched in front of mine. I had to veer very quickly into the opposite lane to avoid hitting the car. I was a little shaken up, but the car and its passengers were all ok. And he made it to church on time.

3:30 I ran into my friend Charles on my way home, and he invited me to a BBQ happening later that evening. This is the same BBQ that Sophie was going to. I declined, saying that I wasn't personally invited to the BBQ, so I didn't feel like I should go. He said that the host told him that it was an open invitation BBQ. But I already had plans, so I still declined.

3:45 I finally arrived home from my near death experience, and then my roommate Bequi told me that she was also going to the same BBQ. She called the girl hosting the BBQ to ask if she could bring me, to which the host replied "No, you cannot bring her."

I didn't really care about the BBQ anyways. Well, I finally was able to make my soup and let it simmer on the stove. I also had two nice loaves of homemade bread that I made. Great! I thought. My day is finally working out!

I noticed the soup was not thickening the way that I wanted it to, so I reached into my cupboard and grabbed some cornstarch. I poured a spoonful into the soup and then the unthinkable occurred: my soup exploded.

Well, it didn't really explode. It just started foaming and bubbling uncontrollably. It looked like a witch's cauldron. I checked the powder that I just added: it was baking powder, not cornstarch.

Shoot! I thought. I need something acidic! I luckily had some red wine vinegar which I added to the soup, and the explosion died down.

4:00 PM: We finally eat the soup and bread. It tasted fine. And the bread was also tasty.

5:15 PM: Bequi and Sophie headed out to the BBQ that I was apparently not welcome to attend.

5:30 PM: Another one of my friends dropped by to say hello. She leaves soon thereafter.

5:47 PM: The power in my house goes out. I went outside to investigate, where I was greeted by two fire engines, a police car, a downed power line, and a broken tree branch.

6:10: Got asked out to go to dinner that night by the non-LDS boy mentioned in Of Mice and Men. I turned him down because it was Sunday and I had other plans.

7:00 PM: The power is still out. My roommate comes back from the BBQ, which she informs me was really lame. It is too hot in our apartment to stay home, so we start walking towards the river where it is nice and cool.

7:15 PM: Bequi and I run into our friend John, who also is roommates with a boy that Bequi is good friends with. John also lives about two blocks from my house. We told him about our power outage and he takes pity on us and lets us into his air conditioned home.

7:20 PM: Bequi and I are chatting with John and I conveniently ask if any of John's roommates are home. Not surprisingly, Bequi's special friend is.

7:27 PM: I get a text from the same boy I picked up at the airport about my dinner plans. I am able to conveniently leave Bequi and her friend alone while I have dinner with a very attractive man. Which means that I fed him leftovers from the soup that I made before. We will call this boy Mr. Unattainable for now.

7:35 PM: The power is still out, but Mr. Unattainable lit the gas stove with matches so he can warm up his soup. He then invites me over to his house for a movie night he is organizing (Yes!).

7:45 PM: The power comes back on.

8:30 PM: The night ends with a movie at Mr. Unattainable's apartment, and more good friends.

In short, I managed to both wake up early and sleep in for church, show up half soaked, cut off a hymn in the middle of a song, turn soup into a chemical weapon, nearly get in a car accident, get both invited and dis-invited to a single BBQ, console a friend about a love gone sour, play matchmaker for another friend, and end my night on a somewhat good note with Mr. Unattainable.

What a day.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha, I love this! I can't wait for your pilot episode! It's gonna be awesome!

    Okay that was first reaction. Second reaction: Wow what a crazy day! I'm so glad you're okay (car accident) and that the soup didn't literally explode in your face. Good call on the acid. I wouldn't have thought of that. But I will from now on.
    I always grab cinnamon instead of cumin, and cumin instead of cinnamon. Luckily, it always happen's when Jason's around, and he always stops me before I create a flavor disaster.
    Sounds like Mr. Unattainable, may be Mr.Attainable one day ;)

    ReplyDelete