Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

I love my family. I joke that I love them so much that I want to hug and strangle them at the same time, but I really do appreciate and value their influence in my life.

I have fond memories of bike rides with my dad and family road trips. I have especially fond memories of cooking meals with my mom. I would chop the vegetables and meat, place the ingredients in bowls, and attempt to assist her in cooking the food. I have memories of folding jiaozi (potstickers), and laughing with my mom and my sister in preparation for the Chinese New Year.

I'm not saying that my family was immune to problems - families never are. But I know my parents raised me and my siblings to the best of their ability. I appreciate the lessons my parents, especially my mom, taught me, and the experiences we had as a family.

In lieu of a card, I made a short list of reasons why I love my mom.

The list:

She taught me how to work.

She taught me about sacrifice.

She is patient.

She saves from doing things that I would regret. Example: She stopped me from rappelling from the second floor stairs using rope and a harness I assembled from jump ropes.

She taught me how to work.

She taught me about leadership.

She is patient with me when I am stupid and ornery.

She has a good sense of humor. Example: When I was little, she told us that angel food cake wouldn't rise unless the house was totally silent while it was baking. It worked a few times. But then we asked her if Devil's food cake would only rise if we were really loud while it was baking. I think that's why she didn't bake that often.

She taught me how to be patient.

She taught to me to have great expectations, and how to achieve those great expectations.

She never gives up on me, my sister, my brother, and my dad.

Happy Mother's Day Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment